1. What influenced you to pursue a career in Technology?
In my previous role working for Local World I managed our Digital marketing product portfolio, so I had a strong interest in all things “tech”. I love anything that can make our ever increasingly busy lives a bit easier, and that’s exactly what technology offers us.
2. In your opinion, why is it important that more women take up powerful & successful roles?
I believe that women belong in all places where decisions are being made. From boardrooms to team meetings women bring too much to the party to be missing from these places. We bring value, we bring problem solving and we bring a more collaborative leadership style amongst many other benefits.
3. How important is it for women to lift each other up and what does that mean to you?
I’ve been very fortunate to be led and coached by some phenomenal women leaders in my career, each one has helped me become the leader I am today, without their support, guidance and strength I would not be where I am today.
4. "Only 5% of leadership positions in the technology sector are held by women" How would you react to this?
I’d react by saying there’s a hell of a lot of companies missing out! I think the stat is shocking, but unfortunately is the result of a far bigger issue. There’s a distinct lack of advice in schools on technology careers which has left/is leaving girls and young women with little understanding of what working in technology involves. Women are going to continue to be absent in tech leadership positions until the UK addresses the lack of women in the pipeline. .
5. On International Women’s Day, what is the most important message you want to send out to young women thinking about their careers?
Be confident, know your worth and don’t give up. A career path is long and windy and is filled with many ups and downs, but your confidence and resilience will see you rise above the rest!